City Manager's Summary of the September 10, 2019, regular City Council meeting.
The City Council met with its executive recruitment firm regarding the City Manager position. At the conclusion of the Closed Session, there were no reportable action.
The following events took place since the last City Council meeting on July 23rd:
- National Night Out on August 6th.
- Comments submitted to the City of Torrance regarding the Butcher Solana Draft EIR on August 19th.
- Using goats for weed abatement in Lunada Canyon began on August 19th.
- Pilot Afternoon Traffic Control Program at PVDN & Via Corta started on September 3rd.
There was a Moment of Silence for the victims of 9-11.
The following upcoming events and items of interest were noted:
- Wireless Telecommunications Facilities Summit on September 11th at 6:30pm at the Palos Verdes Golf Club.
- Pension Strategies Town Hall Meeting on September 12th at 6:30pm at Malaga Cove Library
- Bulky Waste and E-Waste Pick-Up on Saturday, September 13th
- During November, the City Council meetings will be held on November 5th and November 19th to avoid scheduling conflicts with the Thanksgiving Holiday week.
All of the items on the Consent Calendar were approved by the City Council. Of note, the City Council:
- In adopting the Minutes, requested that dissenting and abstaining votes on the motions be noted going forward.
- Agreed to participate in the Regional Emergency Preparedness Committee with the other three Peninsula cities.
- Adopted new regulations regarding the use of leaf blowers, including prohibiting the use of gas-powered leaf blowers in single-family and multi-family zones. The new regulations will go into effect in 120 days, following a public information campaign about the new requirements.
- Amended the Municipal Code to change the starting time of City Council meetings from 7:30pm to 6:30 pm. The earlier meeting time will go into effect starting in October.
- Extended the City’s contract for landscape maintenance to include a new provisions for the use of organic pest control measures on City-owned land.
- Joined the South Bay Cities Council of Government’s Fiber Loop Network Project which will provide a high-speed fiber connection to City Hall.
- Accepted a donation of services for a cyber security check of the City’s information/ technology systems.
- Awarded contracts to perform miscellaneous street repairs and slurry seal pavement overlays on streets primarily in the north and south Lunada Bay areas.
City Council introduced the first reading on an Ordinance to update and amend the City’s Emergency Operations Plan. This item will be brought back for a second reading on September 24th.
Consistent with past practice, the City Council decided not to participate in the upcoming Palos Verdes Homes Association annual meeting and Board of Directors election.
A Certificate of Achievement for Excellence in Financial Reporting was acknowledged from the Government Finance Officers Association (GFOA) for the City’s 2018 Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR).
City Council authorized staff to fill one up-coming Police Officer vacancy with a candidate who is currently attending the Policy Academy, and to use temporary services to fill two vacancies in the Community Development/ Public Works Department. Further, staff was directed to make no internal promotions in the Police Department until the work of the City Council’s Police Operational Review Ad Hoc Committee is completed.
City Council gave direction to staff to proceed with preparing and distributing a brochure-style Fall City Newsletter covering a variety of topics of interest to the community, with an emphasis on the activities the City Council has undertaken since the March 2019 Election.
City Council Reports
Individual Council members noted their recent activities and attendance at the following meetings:
- Council Liaison meeting with the Palos Verdes Beach & Athletic Club (Davidson, Lozzi & Petru)
- Palos Verdes Transit Authority Meeting (Lozzi)
- Council Liaison meeting with the Palos Verdes Homes Association (Kemps, Kao & Petru)
- Sol Price Leadership Academy at USC (McGowan)
- Application submitted to Community Partners to establish a PVE Foundation (McGowan & Kao)
- Council Liaisons meeting with Chair & Vice Chair of the Parklands Committee (Kao, McGowan & Petru)
- Meeting with Senator Feinstein’s Field Representative regarding federal telecommunications legislation (Kao & Petru)
- Goals Subcommittee meeting to plan second Council workshop (Kao, Forte, Thomas & Petru)
The City Council identified the following items for staff follow-up or discussion at upcoming meetings:
- Amendment to the Palos Verdes Beach & Athletic Clubs concession agreement.
- Request from Palos Verdes Transit Authority to possibly expand the Dial-A-Ride program.
- A recurring agenda item to provide updates on activities of the Pension Ad Hoc Committee and Police Operational Review Ad Hoc Committee.
- Increased public outreach regarding crime statistics.
- Finance Advisory Committee Work Plan.
- Follow up regarding the Council Liaison meeting with representatives from the Palos Verdes Homes Association.
- Rental Agreement between the City and the Palos Verdes Homes Association.
- Joint Workshop with the Finance Advisory Committee to review the Updated Financial Forecast Model.
The City Council meeting and the agenda reports can be viewed here.
To view more of the City Manager's Previews or Summaries, please click on the links below
- September 10, 2019: City Manager's Meeting Summary
- April 23, 2019: City Manager's Meeting Preview
- April 9, 2019: City Manager's Meeting Preview, City Manager's Meeting Summary
- March 26, 2019: City Manager's Meeting Preview, City Manager's Meeting Summary
- February 26, 2019: City Manager's Meeting Preview, City Manager's Meeting Summary
- February 12, 2019: City Manager's Meeting Preview, City Manager's Meeting Summary
- January 22, 2019: City Manager's Meeting Preview, City Manager's Meeting Summary
- January 11, 2019: City Manager's Special Meeting Summary
- January 9, 2019: City Manager's Meeting Preview; City Manager's Meeting Summary
- December 11, 2018: City Manager's Meeting Preview; City Manager's Meeting Summary
- November 27, 2018: City Manager's Meeting Preview; City Manager's Meeting Summary
- November 13. 2019 City Manager's Meeting Preview; City Manager's Meeting Summary
- October 23, 2018: City Manager's Meeting Preview, City Manager's Meeting Summary
- October 9, 2018: City Manager's Meeting Preview; City City Manager's Meeting Summary
- September 25, 2018: City Manager's Meeting Preview; City Manager's Meeting Summary
- September 4, 2018: City Manager's Meeting Preview; City Manager's Meeting Summary
- July 24, 2018: City Manager's Meeting Preview; City Manager's Meeting Summary
- July 10, 2018: City Manager's Meeting Preview; City Manager's Meeting Summary