The arrival of the holiday season brings a twinkling merriment to our community along with residential housekeeping tidbits to consider.
We hope you enjoy a wonderful holiday season!
Free Bus Service for New Year's Eve: PV Transit will offer free bus service on New Year's Eve starting at 6 p.m. December 31st through 1:30 a.m. on January 1st. Reservations (one way or round trip) may be made in advance beginning December 20th by calling, (310) 544-3710 between the hours of 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m through December 31st. Same day reservations are also welcome!
Holiday Tree Removal: Holiday trees are 100% recyclable! Athens Services collects holiday trees each year, beginning the day after Christmas through the second week of January, on your normal pickup day. Trees are delivered to various landfills to be used as mulch or cover material, or to Athens’ American Organics compost facility in Victorville.
Tips to ensure collection of your Christmas tree:
- Remove stands, ornaments, lights and tinsel.
- Place Christmas trees next to your regular trash containers.
- Trees over 6 feet in length must be cut in half.
- Trees with flocking or fire retardants are acceptable.
- If you miss the date for recycling, please cut up your tree and place it in your yard waste container(s).
Make it a Safe Holiday Season: The Palos Verdes Estates Police Department has put together some great holiday tips for keeping safe against thefts and burglaries. Follow these tips to keep from becoming a victim:
- Don't leave presents visible in your car. Either take them with you or put them in your trunk.
- Lock the doors to your car and house. Before you walk away, give it a second to check to make sure all doors are secure.
- Consider installing a camera system or doorbell camera. These systems are relatively inexpensive and can provide valuable evidence to police.
- Use automatic timers on your indoor/outdoor lights to give the appearance someone is home.
- If you are traveling, make arrangements so mail, newspapers, and packages won't pile up at your door.
- Thwart porch pirates by having packages delivered to your work, pick up packages at a drop off location (Amazon will deliver to Kohls where you can pick it up), track your packages, or require a signature at delivery.