The City of Palos Verdes Estates requires a Construction and Demolition Waste Management Plan (WMP) be submitted to comply with the 2016 Green Building Standard Codes (CALGreen) and Chapter 8.14 of the Palos Verdes Estates Municipal Code, which set forth recycling requirements for "covered" construction and demolition (C&D) projects. CALGreen requires the recycling and/or salvaging for reuse at least 65% of C&D waste. Applicants must comply with the CALGreen provisions and the City of Palos Verdes Estates Municipal Code (PVEMC) Chapter 8.14 (Construction and Demolition Waste Management), whichever is more stringent.
The following are covered projects requiring submittal of WMP compliance documents to verify diversion of at least 65% of C&D debris:
- Total project valuation equals or exceeds $50,000
- Re-roofing project only (valuation equals or exceeds $10,000 or 50% or more of roof replaced)
- Demolition project requiring Demolition Permit
Concurrent permits and all phases of a project are considered “one” project.
The following are noncovered projects and are exempt from the WMP requirements of PVEMC Chapter 8.14. However, each applicant for a noncovered project is encouraged to divert at least the amount as established by State law of all project-related C&D debris.
- Projects for which only a plumbing, electrical, or mechanical permit is required.
- Immediate or emergency construction, repair, or demolition work required to protect the public health or safety in an emergency, as defined in Section 21060.3 of the Public Resources Code, as it may be amended from time to time.
Complying with C&D Waste Management Requirements
Prior to issuance of building, demolition or encroachment permits, a WMP must be approved and deposits paid. Upon completing the WMP application and it is determined that the project is a noncovered project, no further action is required.
If the project is determined to be a covered project, an applicant has three options for complying with the City’s C&D waste management requirements:
- OPTION A: Use roll-off bins provided by Athens Services, the City’s franchise solid waste hauler, for removal of all C&D debris generated at the project site.
- OPTION B: Self-haul all construction and demolition debris generated at the project site to a C&D recycling facility. No roll-off bins are permitted.
- OPTION C: (Combination of Options A and B) Use a combination of roll-off bins provided by Athens Services and self-hauling for removal of all C&D debris generated at the project site. No roll-off bins are permitted except Athens Services bins.
Forms and Applications
C&D Recycling Facities
Visit CalRecycle's Detailed Facility Search database for C&D recycling facilities.