The arrival of the holiday season brings a twinkling merriment to our community along with residential housekeeping tidbits to consider.
We hope you enjoy a wonderful holiday season!
City Tree Lighting: The City’s annual Malaga Cove Tree Lighting Ceremony is scheduled for Sunday, December 2nd from 6:00 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Sponsored by Malaga Bank and the City of Palos Verdes Estates, this year’s event will delight community members with hot cocoa, music from the Palos Verdes High School Chamber Music Society and a live holiday train for children to ride through the center of the town’s holiday experience. The presentation and lighting of tree will commence at 6:15 p.m.
Shop Local: This holiday season explore Palos Verdes Estates and its small business community. From food gifts and gift cards to warm winter hats and midcentury vintage wares, get all your holiday shopping done in your community. Discover businesses in the Peninsula!
Lunada Bay’s “Santa in the Park”: Join the Lunada Bay Homeowners’ Association for its annual “Santa in the Park” community event on Wednesday, December 12th from 4:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. at Lunada Bay Park.
Christmas Sing Along in the Park: Enjoy a Christmas Sing-a-Long Concert in the Park at Lunada Bay Park on Sunday, December 16, 2018, from 6:30 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. Come celebrate the season with the neighbors with hot chocolate, cider, candy canes and holiday songs.
Holiday Tree Removal: Holiday trees are 100% recyclable! Athens Services collects holiday trees each year, beginning the day after Christmas through the second week of January, on your normal pickup day. Trees are delivered to various landfills to be used as mulch or cover material, or to Athens’ American Organics compost facility in Victorville.
Tips to ensure collection of your Christmas tree:
- Remove stands, ornaments, lights and tinsel.
- Place Christmas trees next to your regular trash containers.
- Trees over 6 feet in length must be cut in half.
- Trees with flocking or fire retardants are acceptable.
- If you miss the date for recycling, please cut up your tree and place it in your yard waste container(s).
Make it a Safe Holiday Season: The Palos Verdes Estates Police Department has put together some great holiday tips for keeping safe against thefts and burglaries. Follow these tips to keep from becoming a victim:
- Don't leave presents visible in your car. Either take them with you or put them in your trunk.
- Lock the doors to your car and house. Before you walk away, give it a second to check to make sure all doors are secure.
- Consider installing a camera system or doorbell camera. These systems are relatively inexpensive and can provide valuable evidence to police.
- Use automatic timers on your indoor/outdoor lights to give the appearance someone is home.
- If you are traveling, make arrangements so mail, newspapers, and packages won't pile up at your door.
- Thwart porch pirates by having packages delivered to your work, pick up packages at a drop off location (Amazon will deliver to Kohls where you can pick it up), track your packages, or require a signature at delivery.
See something- Say something: Report anything suspicious to the police so we can investigate